Monday, March 08, 2004

Tempest has become a live favorite for my wife and I. Celtic Rock band that comes through here (Fresno) quite often. Quite fun to drink and dance to. Years ago, we saw them play an event put on by the Fresno Downtown Association having to do with St. Patrick's Day. After many pints of Harp, Bass and other appropriate for the night Irish ales, I danced a jig, or an approximation thereof, all night long. My calves were extremely angry with me the next morning and protested any kind of activity for two full days.

The most recent Tempest show we attended was just a few weeks ago. Great show with an energized new line-up that includes the original fiddler who happens to be a local boy and a new gal on bass that just laid it down all night. They have a loyal following, play great and generally keep on keeping on. But Leif, the lead singer is quite the prima-donna. It's a little sad, but mostly just amusing. I'm sure he's happy making a living at what he's doing, but it reeks of the high-schooler who won't give up the dream, get a job and move on. In some ways, that's admirable because as I said, they're a pretty damn good band and I'm glad they're around.

The moment of the night came with the encore. One of my oldest and best friends, Chet, was there with his wife Jennifer. As the band returned to the stage to finish the night, we heard vaguely familiar notes of a song not heard live before. I looked over at Chet and I could see that his mind was racing madly like mine was, searching the depths of that musical knowledge database that occupies probably too much grey matter in our skulls. The guitar player, who is Scottish I believe, used his accent to his advantage while speaking the opening lines of...........Spinal Tap's "Stonehenge"! Unbelievable! Chet and I were blown away. I always thought Tempest had a sort of Tap quality to them anyway and now this. Did they realize the campiness of their own existence and capitalize on it? Maybe they just thought it would be a great gag. Or, God help them, they genuinely thought that "Stonehenge" was a really kickass tune.

Anyway, if you've ever seen the movie "This Is Spinal Tap", you know that during the live performance of "Stonehenge" there is a moment where a prop of the monument is lowered to the stage as midgets (or small people/wee folk/whatever) do a jig representing the druids. Chet and I don't get together as much as we used to, but at that moment of Tempest's rendition, we both knew what had to be done. With a simple nod to each other, we went up to the (very empty) dance floor and jigged. We didn't just get up and hop around. No. We played the part from the movie to the teeth, bumping into each other on cue and circling the imaginary miniature monolith. We got a good reaction from the audience, but I doubt that most recognized the tribute we were paying the band. I'm sure a few wrote us off as drunk and/or gay.

After the show, we spoke to some of the band members, including His Majesty Lord Lief, and they were thrilled that someone "got it".

Who cared? We did. And it was just another moment that will last longer than the buzz, longer than the ringing in the ears and longer than the pain in my calves.