Thursday, March 18, 2004

Just Another Quiet Sunday Night...(Book II)

Okay, I missed my deadline yesterday, but I'm here now with some time to continue the story and try to keep this one from becoming a trilogy.

Scott and I entered the Save Mart Center and decided that we should find out where our seats were so that we weren't stumbling in the dark later, possibly spilling precious $7 beer. It was a good decision. As I feared, our seats were way up high in the corner of the arena. We were just below the summit and neither of us saw any Sherpas to guide us the rest of the way, so we charged up the steep stairs. Standing in our row, we gazed down upon the Valley of Black, so named for all the black concert shirts and black Levis of the pitdwellers. The slope of the section seemed to be a sheer drop, so we sat down in our seats and that eased the vertigo a bit.

After we adjusted to the oxygen level, we went to get a beer. Surprisingly, the line for beer was non-existent. We were greeted and served by the entire staff of the concession stand. One took our money, one poured, one checked I.D.s, one watched and one seemed to have the job of chatting us up a bit. I felt like Julia Roberts in the dress shop in Pretty Woman. I figured that would be the last beer we wouldn't have to wait for, but I was wrong. Scott and I couldn't figure it out until it dawned on us that most of the crowd was too young to enjoy the tall drafts. Huzzah! More for us. Too bad kids, you should have brought some goldfish crackers and your sippy cups.

We walked around a bit to take in some good ol' people watching. Mostly, I can't say what I saw that night. Not because I don't wish to, but I can't find the words. Folks of all ages, mostly young, mostly a bit haggard and some easily into their '50s. Actually, I suppose the people that appeared to be 50 could have been 20-something Carnies on their night off. We saw some obvious father/son pairings and I thought that was pretty cool but a little strange. Some of those kids looked like they should have been at Disney On Ice, not Metallica. But then again, maybe all that smoking stunted their growth and they were older than they appeared.

We were on the concourse near our section entrance when we heard a sound that still gives me a little rush; the crowd cheering as the lights go down. The opening act, Godsmack, was taking the stage. Time to rock. And don't ask me what Godsmack means because I don't know. I guess it sounds cool if you're 14. We made our way to our seats as lights strobed and sound boomed from the stage below.

I have to leave you hanging in the lurch again here, folks. But in the spirit of Tolkien, Lucas and Rambo, it's gonna have to be a trilogy. I'll try to get back to this one in the next day or so.

Thanks again for stopping by. (Have you bookmarked this site yet?) Leave any comments and please forward this link to anyone you think would enjoy it.