Friday, June 11, 2004

Primus Sucks In Seattle (Part Two)

Mary's reaction to my desire to see Primus in Seattle was consistent with her past feelings about the band. To this day, I don't play Primus CDs at the house or in the car if she's around, unless I'm trying to get her goat. So now I really had to tread lightly if I was gonna have any luck here.

I said, "Oh, c'mon...it'll be fun. We'll have a few pre-show drinks and-"

She interrupted me; "You'd better get me bombed if we're going to see Primus". I saw that as a wobble on her part. My little brain read this as meaning: if I get her really, really drunk, she'll go to the show and won't care who's onstage. So I've got a chance!

She stood there in the kitchen and stared at me as if she could see the little hamster wheel in my head go 'round and 'round. She realized then that she'd left me an opening and my hopes would be up. "Well, we'll see", she mumbled as she turned back to getting dinner ready. I nearly did a cartwheel on my way back to The Mistress and did an internet search for Seahawks Exhibition Center, which was the venue that Primus was to play. I found the site and looked over some info and photos. The Seahawks Exhibition Center is adjacent to the new Seahawks Stadium and right across the street from Safeco Field, where we'd be the night before the concert. I then searched for a hotel that would be close to the venues and other attractions. I also went to another site.

Mary walked by the open door to The Mistress' room and did a double take when she saw over my shoulder that I'd navigated over to PRIMUSSUCKS.COM. I didn't know she was there until I heard her exhale, "Ah, Jeeezus. What have I started?" I spun around in my chair and tried to reassure her that I was just doing some reconnaissance to see if it was viable to do what we wanted to do in Seattle. As much as I wanted to see Primus, I didn't want to compromise our time sightseeing. I did, however, point out that many of the city's attractions were very close to one another and we could get around pretty quickly and easily. She shook her head and walked away. I stared blankly at the empty doorway and realized that I had to slow this process down.

"Concentrate on the Mariners game and the hotel first, Tony", I said to myself. I went back into the kitchen to tell Mary that the concert could be looked at as a "backburner" option. This wasn't a ploy on my part just to appease her; there was no way that I was going to drag her to a concert if she wasn't willing. Neither of us would have a good time if one of us was miserable. So I offered to look into other stuff to do up there and maybe we'd catch the show if it didn't interfere with anything. She said that would be fine, so the door was still cracked open. But man, I wanted to kick that door open!

In the coming weeks, after some research, we discussed our plans for vacation. The time in Salem was mapped out to be just what we expected; hanging out with family and relaxing. Then it was onto the Seattle plan. We wanted to see Pike Place Market (y'know, where they throw the fish around), the Space Needle, the underground tour, and most definitely the Experience Music Project museum. On Tuesday, June 1st, we'd go to a Mariners game. We were really excited about seeing Safeco Field, especially since Mary scored some primo tickets from her company's office in Seattle (20 rows up from 3rd base).

Wednesday night was still wide open and nothing except Primus stood out as an event. So Mary warmed up to the idea little by little. Just days before we were scheduled to leave Fresno for the beautiful Northwest, The Mistress and I sauntered over to Ticketbastard's website and ordered up two tickets to Primus. I almost couldn't believe it. My wife was going to see Primus in concert again. And this time on purpose.

Next up: Primus Sucks In Seattle (Part 3)


Blurb about the Portland show (held the day before the Seattle show) from the free rag, The Portland Mercury. It describes Mary and I perfectly. Eerie.