Sunday, July 18, 2004

Blinded By The Rock: The Pat Tragedy Story

Preface
 
Its not often that you get the chance to do something on a stage in front of hundreds of people that you'd normally only do in the privacy of your own home with the shades drawn. If your mom was to walk
 in on you in your bedroom doing this thing, it would be pretty embarrassing. I still see people perform this very personal act in public sometimes, their eyes closed and heads thrown back in ecstasy. They're usually really drunk and oblivious to others around them. Sometimes, two or more people (usually male), join up and do it together.
 
I'd venture to say that we've all done it. I subscribe to the thought that its a natural thing and that it can be a healthy outlet providing such benefits as stress relief, physical activity, and sheer pleasure. However, as open minded as I am about the subject, I would still prefer to not see others do it. With one exception in the past, I really don't want others watching me when I do it. 
 
What am I talking about?
 
Air Guitar!  
 
C'mon, you know you've done it. Its okay, admit it. Sometimes that riff is just too powerful and you're overcome with the urges that are drawn from deep down inside you. Humble Pie's I Don't Need No Doctor comes on the radio; before you realize what's happening, your thumb and index finger are pinched together, holding an invisible pick. The other arm is held away from the torso, akimbo in an upright position so as to hold the neck of the imaginary guitar. You strum away on exaggerated power chords, nodding your head approvingly at the thousands of fans in front of your mind's eye. And when the solo comes, you make moves up and down that fretboard, accuracy be damned, that would impress Eddie Van Halen himself.
 
The guilt you feel at the end of the song is also natural. You feel silly and juvenile. You thought you were beyond this. But it feels good. We humans do what feels good, so you know you'll do it again. It might take a few beers or a glass of wine to cut down the inhibition factor a bit, but it will happen.
 
I just hope you'll draw the shades this time.
 
Next up: Chapter One: Hell Yeah!